Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Spinach Burgers

I'm not a huge meat eater and turkey burgers were getting old and boring to me, so when I saw a recipe for spinach burgers I knew I had to try them. I was trying to think of a fun side (my mom always said that the side dish is just as important) and thought of "french fries," as in cooked carrots, zucchini, and yams.

Here's what I did, and I highly recommend trying it.

For the main dish:
- 1 bag of frozen spinach (would recommend using frozen over fresh because it is easer to mold into patties that way)
- 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used the low fat mozzarella cheese from Trader Joes)
- 1/2 oats (instead of bread crumbs)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, could also add more though
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Directions: Mix all in a bowl and then mold into patties. I used an ice cream scooper and used about 2 scoops per patty. Place on a skillet with cooking spray on medium heat and flip every few minutes. They took about 10 minutes to cook (4-6 minutes on each side)

I put avocado and tomato on top, as well as spicy mustard from Trader Joes. Could also make "ranch" using a single serving of non-fat Greek yogurt and a package of ranch dressing mix.

For the side:

Carrot/Mixed Root Vegetable Fries
- Thinly chopped vegetables so that they are about the size and length of fries (carrots, zucchini, and yams were what I did)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil (I did 2 but they were way to oily and didn't cook as well)
-  ½ teaspoon sea salt and lots and lots and lots of rosemary, trust me
- Directions: combine all in a bowl and mix then spread on a baking parchment sheet. Place in oven at 425 for 18-22 minutes

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment