Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pistachio Crusted Salmon


This is by far my favorite salmon recipe, and probably favorite recipe I've conquered this break. I've had to make it twice I've loved it so much. It's simple, easy, and oh so healthy! I've sent this to many people hoping to spread the love and knowledge. I also have the perfect side that compliments it very well (again, thank mama Marci for teaching me the importance of side dishes)

For the main dish: 
Pistachio Crusted Salmon
- 2 lemons juiced
- 4 table spoons mustard (Dijon or Stone ground) could use up to 6 for more flavor
- Between 1 and 2 cups shelled pistachio
- Between ½ cup to 1 cup quick oats
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce (it called for oil but I use a bit of oil in the side dish so I opted for the unsweetened applesauce. I did use oil the first time I made the salmon, and when I used the applesauce the second time I thought it tasted better. It was sweeter and more juicy)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Directions: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Arrange the side of salmon on an oven proof baking sheet, skin side down. Mix the lemon juice and mustard together in a small bowl and spread sparingly over the top of the salmon. Coarsely grind the pistachios in a food processor, or just chop them on your own on a cutting board. Add the oatmeal, the applesauce and salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle the pistachio mixture over the mustard to cover the salmon evenly and cook for 30 minutes.

For the side:
Vegetable Mix:
-  Cauliflower
-  Brussels sprouts
- Red grapes
-  3 tablespoons thyme (I add more for taste)
-  1-2 tablespoons Olive oil or unsweetened applesauce
-  Directions: Preheat oven to 350. Cut all brussels sprouts in half and place all vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Mix in olive oil or applesauce and thyme. Place foil on a cooking sheet and spray with cooking spray. Place vegetables on sheet and cook for 30 minutes- turning occasionally. 

I wish I had pictures of this dish but it was so good that it was gone before I could take one!

Also, you could also have brown rice or quinoa as an added side. 

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment