Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Southwestern Salad

Leftovers are one of my favorite parts of cooking because I get to enjoy them AGAIN, and even try something new with them. For the southwestern salad, I used the left over corn and black bean salad (see BBQ Chicken recipe to find it) and added some extra goodies. It was quick, simple, yet tasted delicious. I also paired it with a little mozzarella quesadilla on the side (I try to add grains to each and every meal to make me feel fuller longer, and so that my body has "good" carbs to use throughout the day) I of course sprinkled a little rosemary on the quesadilla because I am obsessed with rosemary and the flavor it adds to each dish.

For the main dish
Southwestern Salad:
- Little more than half a cup of the leftover corn and black bean salad (depending on how hungry you are)
- Lettuce
- Chopped carrots
- Half an avocado (provides delicious "good" fats)
- Chopped broccoli
- Fat free balsamic vinaigrette
- Directions: Reheat the corn and black bean salad. Place as much lettuce as desired and add all other veggies on top of that. Mix in the corn and black bean salad when it is done reheating, and voila! Perfect Salad.

For the side dish
Low Fat Mozzarella Quesadilla:
- 1 tortilla (again, I HIGHLY recommend the Whole Grain Flour with Rolled Oat and Flax Seed tortillas from Trader Joes)
- 1/2 cup of mozzarella (I used the "lite shredded" kind from Trader Joes)
- Rosemary (optional)
- Directions: sprinkle the mozzarella on half of the tortilla and add as much rosemary as you wish. Fold in half and place in the toaster until it's as crispy and gooey as you want!

I like this dish because I was able to reuse a dish from the previous night, and it was quick and simple to make. Plus, it kept me full while I spent the rest of the day shopping and running errands ;)




Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment