Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Spicy Chickpea Kale Salad

I've discovered that chickpeas are so easy to use in any recipe and add a lot of protein and flavor, especially when spiced just right. Today, I made a simple yet tasty salad using a few simple ingredients- obviously including chickpeas in some way! This recipes calls for one serving (I was just cooking for me) so feel free to add more if you're making it for more.

Spicy Chickpea Kale Salad:
- 1/4 cup chickpeas drained and dry
- 1 stalk hearts of palm (I used the canned ones from Trader Joes) cut
- Chopped carrots
- Sliced cherry tomatoes
- Half an avocado
- Kale lettuce
- Oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, ground cumin, chili powder (all spices I added throughout cooking so the measurements are all up to you, I highly suggest being generous with the ground cumin because it goes really well with the chickpeas)
- Fat free balsamic vinaigrette, or really any salad dressing you desire!
- Directions: spray a cooking pan and mix in chickpeas and hearts of palm. Add the spices and cook on low to medium heat. I cooked for about 8 minutes, however it's up to how cooked you want them to be. In another bowl, place in as much kale and you want and mix all the vegetables, adding the cooked chickpeas and hearts of palm last.

I also toasted these delicious tortillas that I HIGHLY recommend getting from Trader Joes. They are Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas with Rolled Oats and Flax Seeds. I added a scoop of Trader Joes hummus!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment