Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Quinoa Salad in a Jar

I've been bringing my lunch and or dinner to work lately in order to save money and also so that I am not tempted to eat the food at work (which is mostly fried and greasy food). However, the usual sadal with veggies and a protein is getting a little too mundane for me. It wasn't until I was in Peoria, IL that I discovered a little something called a quinoa salad in a jar! It was tasty, healthy, easy to transport, and oh so filling. I've been coming up with my own variations since, and enjoy the extra protein kick that quinoa offers!

Listed below is one of MANY different variations that are possible. Basically, I suggest sticking to the good carbs/protein from the quinoa, veggies, healthy fat either from avocado and or olive oil as a dressing, and a little more protein either from beans and or meats like chicken!

Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- spinach
- beets (I used red and yellow)
- 1/2 cup garbonzo beans
- 1/2 cut cucumber
- shaved carrott
- side of dressing (I used balsamic and olive oil)

Directions:
- Layer each ingredient in a large, tall glass jar and that's it
- When you're ready to eat it, pour the dressing on top, close the lid, shake, and enjoy!



Some Other Combination Ideas:
- "Greek Salad" with quinoa, feta, garbonzo beans, spinach, red pepper and olives with a balsamic and olive oil dressing
- "Protein Salad" with qunioa, kidney beans, red beans, garbonzo beans, peas, corn, cucumber, and any dressing (can also add a meat or egg)
- "Southwest Salad" with quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, onion

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment