Friday, March 16, 2012

Pudding Cake aka "Icebox Cake"

I. Love. Dessert. I'm not even halfway through with my dinner before I start planning what I'll have for dessert. My sweet tooth is a serious problem, and my usual "fix" is froyo (frozen yogurt) However, seeing as how I have been there every night this spring break (and once even during the day) I decided that I should branch out and try something new.

My goal was to make something that is just as good and just as healthy as frozen yogurt because I ALWAYS over indulge, but I don't feel bad if the dessert is "healthy."

I decided on an "icebox cake." It is so simple to make, and is not too filling.

Ingredients:
- Box of graham crackers (you could get two boxes, it just depends how many layers/big you want to make the cake) The average layer is 8 pieces
- Pudding (again, the amount depends on how many layers and how big your cake is) The average layer takes 2 pudding cups
- Optional: small fruit slices

Directions:
- In a baking pan, layer the bottom so that it is covered with graham cracker pieces (you may have to break a piece in half so that it all fits. Then start slowly pouring the pudding on top so that the whole layer of crackers are evenly covered with pudding. Once the crackers are all covered, place the second layer on top (make sure to place in the same patter as the first. It makes it easier to cut the pieces this way.) Again, cover again with pudding (I mixed chocolate and vanilla for this layer) and again, cover with another layer of crackers. I only did two layers, however, you can keep going, and also adding thinly sliced fruit with the pudding as well. Place in the fridge until the cake is soft (usually 5 hours).

Pudding Cups

Graham Cracker (I obviously got them from Trader Joes)

Step 1: Layer the pan with graham crackers 

Pudding evenly spread

Finished product!


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment